We are going to teach you what Pho soup is and the positive effects of this preparation on health. It is easy to prepare and provides many important nutrients.
Pho soup is a Vietnamese recipe that can provide a number of health benefits. It is a broth that combines several types of essential nutrients, so it can be included in the diet regularly.
In fact, this preparation is consumed in more and more countries, which also stands out for its excellent organoleptic properties. We are going to teach you what positive effects it can have.
What is Pho soup?
Known as Pho soup a cup of broth, with rice noodles and aromatic herbs. Additionally, beef bones are included to increase the supply of protein and collagen.
To achieve a good result, it should be cooked for several hours on a very low flame. This soup is exquisite on an organoleptic level and provides plenty of nutrients and phytochemicals.
Pho soup recipe
Next, we are going to show you a delicious Pho soup recipe so that you can make it at home and get the most out of it. The version we present to you is made with beef, although other types of meat can be used.
- For the broth: 2 cow bones
- 1 medium onion
- fresh ginger
- cinnamon stick
- 2 nails
- Star anise
- For the soup. 400 grams of beef
- 400 grams of rice noodles
- 100 grams of bean sprouts
- 200 grams of beef for meatballs
- Salt to taste
Step by step
- Put all the ingredients for the broth on a tray in the oven heated to 180 degrees for 20 minutes. It is important to cover the tray with aluminum foil. After time, the food will turn golden.
- Pour the above-mentioned products into a pot with one liter of boiling water.
- Add salt.
- Let it cook for an hour, removing the foam little by little.
- When the broth is ready, strain it.
- To continue, we make small meatballs with minced meat and salt. reserve them.
- Pour the broth into the pot and add the noodles and meatballs.
- Let it boil for 2 minutes, then add the chopped meat.
- Stir in basil and lime when serving.
The benefits of Pho soup
Among the main benefits, Pho soup helps to maintain oxidative balance in the internal environment, as it is a dish that it concentrates many phytonutrients inside.
These neutralize the formation of free radicals and their subsequent accumulation in body tissues.. This effect is associated with a lower risk of developing complex pathologies, according to a study is published European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry.
On the other hand, it is worth noting the protein content. These nutrients help maintain lean mass in a functional state. When intake is deficient, problems with muscle catabolism can occur in the medium term, as noted research published in the journal Nutrients. This is known as sarcopenia, a disease associated with many chronic problems in late adulthood.
In addition, Pho soup is a source of collagen. This protein is part of most body structures. From the age of 30, synthesis at the endogenous level decreases, so it is important to increase the presence of this element in the diet.
Also some micronutrients have shown be able to improve internal production, as is the case with vitamin C. It is important that they are consumed in sufficient quantities.
Disadvantages of Pho Soup
Despite the positive effects mentioned, all that glitters is not gold. Pho soup also has some characteristics that may not be entirely positive for some groups. For example, There is a lot of sodium inside.
This mineral is associated with an increased risk of developing hypertension in genetically predisposed individuals. Those with a history of cardiovascular problems may need moderate consumption.
In addition, it is quite an energetic dish. This will depend on the type of noodles and the meat used. It is a preparation with high nutritional densityTherefore, excessive consumption can cause fat gain in the medium term. The result is increased inflammation in the internal environment, which conditions the effectiveness of vital physiological functions.
Pho soup, a preparation with many quality nutrients
How did you check? Pho soup has a lot of quality nutrients inside. It can be included in the context of a varied and balanced diet to maintain good health in the medium term.
However, care must be taken with the ingredients selected to avoid excessive energy intake. It’s always better to go for lean cuts of meat and a moderate amount of noodles.
Finally, don’t forget that some people have to reduce their mineral intake because of organ problems. In this case, it will be the doctor who will give precise instructions in this regard. Some micronutrients may interact with medication guidelines, so their intake should be monitored to avoid dysfunctions at the physiological level.
You may be interested in…
All cited sources have been thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and scholarly or with scholarly accuracy.
- Neha, K., Haider, MR, Pathak, A., & Yar, MS (2019). Antioxidant medicine perspectives. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 178:687-704 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmech.2019.06.010
- Prokopidis, K., Cervo, MM, Gandham, A., & Scott, D. (2020). Effect of protein intake in older adults with sarcopenia and obesity. gut microbiota perspective. Nutrients, 12:00(8), 2285. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu12082285
- Lis, DM, & Baar, K. (2019). Effect of different vitamin C-enriched collagen derivatives on collagen synthesis. International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 29:00(5), 526–531. https://doi.org/10.1123/ijsnem.2018-0385